Menlo Park Academy (K-8), Ohio’s only public school for gifted children.
2149 W. 53rd St., Cleveland, OH 44103
Contact: Carol Ryan, 440-925-6365, firstname.lastname@example.org
14 Menlo Park Academy middle schoolers advanced from the regional to state-level National History Day (NHD) competition. On March 7, Ohio Region 3 of National History Day (NHD) announced the winners of its March 5 competition. 27 Menlo Park Academy students competed with 20 projects in various National History Day categories.
NHD Ohio Region 3 consists of students from Cuyahoga, Lake, Lorain, Medina, and Summit counties. Individuals or groups in each category who receive first, second, or third place, or an honorable mention, advance to the state-level competition, to be held on Ohio History Day, April 23, 2022.
Menlo Park Academy students and projects advancing to the state competition include:
- 2nd place (Group): Compromise of 1790: “The Room Where It Happened” – Thomas C. and Peter I., and Adam N.,
- Honorable mention (Individual): The Debate Over Women’s Suffrage in America – Lakshanyaa R.
- 1st place (Individual): The Portsmouth Peace Treaty: President Theodore Roosevelt’s Double-Edged Diplomacy during the Russo-Japanese War – Ethan C.
- 2nd place (Individual): The Berlin Airlift: Cold War Diplomacy of 1948-1949 – Snehan M.
- 1st Place (Group): The Great Divide: The Bloody Legacy of India-Pakistan Partition – Atidya M., Nakshatra M., and Shashini M.
- 2nd place (Individual): May 4, 1970: Four Dead in Ohio – The Debate Over Who is to Blame – Oliver S.
- 3rd place (Individual): Cuban Missile Crisis: The Diplomacy of Kennedy vs. Khrushchev – Jack D.
- 2nd place (Group): Jane Goodall and the Debate About Primate Intelligence – Jonas B. and Lilah B.
- 2nd place (Individual): “They’ve Labeled Us the Hollywood Ten”: The Debate against the House Un-American Activities Committee – Jackson K.
About National History Day
National History Day is a non-profit education organization based in College Park, Maryland. Founded in 1974, NHD offers year-long academic programs that engage more than a half-million middle- and high-school students around the world annually in project research and presentation. Since 1974, NHD has sought to improve history education in schools. Regional and state-level competitions culminate in a national competition and educational experience in June.
About Menlo Park Academy
Menlo Park Academy is a public school that nurtures gifted children through an exemplary program and rewarding experiences that develop the whole child. It is consistently ranked as one of the top schools in Ohio. MPA offers a curriculum with innovative acceleration and differentiation options to the school’s 600 students, who hail from eight counties and fifty school districts in the Northeast Ohio area. MPA consistently receives high ratings from the Ohio Department of Education and is a regular recipient of the “Auditor of State Award.” In addition, Niche selected MPA as the No. 1 Charter Elementary School in Ohio and the No. 1 Charter Middle School in Ohio and ranked MPA among the top 10 Ohio public elementary schools for 2022.